Date(s) - 08/16/2018
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
The Soil Health Seminar is almost here!
Plan to join us on Thursday, August 16 at Morgan Composting in Sears for a full day of top-notch speakers focusing on changes in small farming and agriculture, economics, soil health, and how you can thrive in uncertain times.
Learn how to diversify your business, expand markets, prolong selling seasons, and create continual cash flow through our speakers and breakout sessions.
We will also provide lunch, tours of our compost windrows, vermicomposting, and liquid manufacturing setups, and a social hour with a wine tasting booth!
This event is a great chance to learn, meet with others in your field, and support the agriculture programs that make Michigan great.
This year’s Keynote Speaker is John Ikerd, Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Economics at the University of Missouri.
The Full Schedule
8:45am-9:05am Vendor Tent Open
9:15am-9:45am Welcome: Justin Morgan, Vice President of Morgan Composting Inc
9:45am-10:45am Staying on Solid Ground in a Rapidly-Changing Agriculture presented by keynote speaker: John Ikerd
11:15am-Noon Breakout Session 1
- Lean Your Farm for Profit and Prosperity presented by Brian Bates, Bear Creek Organic Farm
- The Economics of Sustainable Agriculture presented by John Ikerd, University of Missouri
- Why John Deere Financial? Increasing Purchasing Power, Convenience, and Flexibility presented by Matthew Powell, John Deere Financial
Noon-1:30pm Lunch provided by Morgan’s
2:00pm-2:45pm Breakout Session 2
- Vegetable Farming as a Career- Not as a Hobby! Presented by Tom Zilke, Zilke Vegetable Farm
- Put Your Soil to Work: Invest in Soil Health presented by Edwin Suarez, Technical Agronomist at Midwestern BioAg
- Utilizing Compost to Manage Plant Parasitic Nematodes and Soil Health presented by Marisol Quintanilla and Emilie Cole, Michigan State University Nematology Department
3:30pm-4:15pm Breakout Session 3
- Soil Health with Special Reference to Orchard Floor Management presented by Dr. George Bird, Michigan State University
- Success with Diversity presented by Fred Monroe, Monroe Family Organics
- Organic Farming with Sustainable Inputs to Increase Soil Health presented by Jon Findlay, Findlay’s Organics
4:30pm Social Hour with Wine Tasting Booth
Buy your tickets today to save $10!
Price goes up after August 14 so register now!
Bookings are closed for this event.